It’s a new year with new anti-aging tips and tricks on how to get younger looking skin from makeup to skincare and more. As an esthetician and makeup artist, having good skin and knowing how to get good skin that looks fresh, young appearing and glowing is essential. Our skin is the largest organ we have, so why not invest in making it the absolute best it can be. With that said, aging happens and so we have to be realistic about our expectations. We are most likely not going to look 20 anymore unless that includes a facelift and some major dermal fillers. So, keep that in mind while you read these skincare tips for getting younger look skin. This is more about the overall health of your skin which will in turn prevent and soften fine lines, wrinkles, brown pigmentation and sagging.
You can start your anti-aging skincare regimen at any time. You are not too old to get started and you are not too young to started either. I started my anti-aging journey (or just simply taking good care of my skin) in my early 20’s when I became an esthetician, but wish I would have started eariler with prevention like wearing sunscreen for instance. I have had several skincare clients (when I worked at a spa) who started to take care of their skin well into their 40’s and beyond. Your anti-aging results will look different from the person next to you, but that shouldn’t stop you from starting to take care of yourself and implement some, if not all, of these ways to younger looking skin.
10 Tips for Younger Looking Skin
1. Highlight for Younger Looking Skin: One of my most popular blog posts of all time has my mom in it who is absolutely stunning with or without makeup at 60 years old. It’s an anti-aging post on how to highlighting your skin to look younger. I wanted to show you how to use highlighting techniques to soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. One of the best way’s to diffuse skin that has developed fine lines and wrinkles is to use a makeup product to illuminate the area and “pop” the shadow out. Makeup certainly won’t take away any fine lines or wrinkles, but it can make them softer and less apparent. On the flip side, if you use the wrong makeup (ahem…powdered foundation), it can make them look worse. The best areas to highlight your face is your nasal-labial folds (which sounds super creepy), sides of the mouth, above cheekbones, brow bone, and above the brow bone. Highlighting in these areas will help to “lift” the face and give it a younger appearance.
2. Drink Water for Younger Looking Skin: Drinking 8 cups of water might seem like a no brainer, but so many people don’t drink much water during the day which is imperative to keeping your skin cells hydrated. If you don’t hydrate, your skin cells will begin to dehydrate too and cause your skin to look dull, and your fine lines and wrinkles will become more pronounced. So, drinking water is an easy fix! I just keep a large YETI filled up with fresh water and drink it throughout the day.
3. Exfoliate Your Skin to Look Younger: If you don’t take any of my advice, please take this one. Exfoliating your skin will make the biggest difference in how glowing and gorgeous your skin is, which in turn will make your skin look much younger. I would highly recommend a daily exfoliant like my very favorite Overnight Resurfacing Serum from Beautycounter. Exfoliating your skin not only helps with fine lines and wrinkles, but it can also tighten your pores, and lighten brown pigmentation too. Skin exfoliation is something you should do every single day to turn out dead cells and to keep producing new ones. On that note, I am not a fan of manual scrubs all that much. So, if you want to use an exfoliant that not only works on the top layer of skin but also exfoliates within your follicles, try out the Overnight Resurfacing Serum. It’s is absolutely amazing, and most people have reported seeing a difference the next day.
4. Botox for Younger Looking Skin: Getting Botox for anti-aging is definitely a quick fix way to soften fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also a preventative way to keep future wrinkles away. I have personally had Botox off and on since my early 20’s, and I have to say, I think it’s part of why my forehead and eyes aren’t more wrinkled in my mid 30’s. Now, I like to live my life as non-toxic as possible and that includes what I put on and in my body. However, I also believe in 80% non-toxic and 20%, girl do your thing, method of living. I have no problem using Botox a few times a year as opposed to toxic makeup and skincare every day of my life. I hope that makes sense.
5. Use Sunscreen for Younger Looking Skin: Using sunscreen is extremely necessary to wear every-single-day if you are serious about having younger looking skin. You want to make sure your sunscreen has full spectrum coverage (blocks UVA and UVB Rays) so that the sun is blocked from breaking down your collagen and elastin and deforming your skin cells which can cause premature sagging of your skin. Sun exposure also causes brown pigmentation which is hard to get rid of; so it’s best to prevent it by using sunscreen on a daily basis. Here are some tips on How Much Sunscreen to Apply and How Often.
6. Lighten Brown Pigmentation for Younger Looking Skin: If you are like me and were a child of the era that didn’t do sunscreen, you may already have some brown pigmentation that is bothering you. Here’s the good news though, you can lighten the brown spots, yay! There are so many ways you can lighten your brown spots or get rid of them completely. You can use certain skincare products or use an IPL done by a professional in a medical spa. Most skincare products though are temporary fixes for brown pigmentation; IPL helps to disable your pigmented cells. You can read more about 6 Ways to Prevent and Get Rid of Brown Pigmentation.
7. Use Vitamin C Serum for Younger Looking Skin: Vitamin C is one of the best anti-aging ingredients of all time. It not only helps to brighten the skin and lighten brown pigmentation, but it blocks free-radicals that try to break down your collagen and elastin which results in more fine lines, wrinkles, and saggy skin. I can’t emphasize enough how important using a vitamin C serum every day is, so, if you aren’t already using it, make sure to start! You can always use my DIY Vitamin C Serum Recipe or DIY Vitamin C Toner.
8. Use Dermaroller for Younger Looking Skin: Okay, if you don’t already have my favorite anti-aging skincare roller, now is the time! This anti-aging skincare tool helps to stimulate the growth of collagen and elastin which can help soften your fine lines and wrinkles. The Dermaroller works even better in conjunction with my favorite Overnight Exfoliating serum from Beautycounter; they truly are a dynamic duo together. It truly is the best, and you won’t regret using one. Check out how to use a dermaroller at home and where to buy one for yourself.
9. Take Your Vitamins for Younger Looking Skin: Yes, you should be taking Vitamins to help with the overall health of your skin. I will do a more extensive breakdown of these vitamins in another post next week. But, for now, here is a list of the vitamins you should be taking for healthier and younger looking skin.
- Vitamin A– Anti-oxidant- free-radical blocker
- Folic Acid– Creation of new cells
- Vitamin E– free radical blocker and can also help with acne.
- Vitamin K– Helps heal wounds.
- Vitamin B3– Good for your skin, found in many beauty products as Niacinomide
- Vitamin B5– Skin Hydration
10. Sleep for Younger Looking Skin:10. Sleep for Younger Looking Skin: If you are like me, sleeping is a thing of the past. I have three small kids, and I like staying up far too late (sometimes until 12:30 am) for alone time, so that makes sleeping a problem. But, sleeping is a powerful thing; it really can be considered “beauty sleep” because your skin regenerates during this time. Sleeping helps not only with skin regeneration which helps fine lines and wrinkles, but it can also keep dark circles away too. So, don’t be like me and make it a goal to get a solid 8 hours of sleep to help with not only anti-aging but also to refresh yourself as a whole.
Have a great day!
You Might Also Like
5 Ways to Get Your Beauty Sleep