Personal Airbrush makeup for at home use doesn’t need to be intimidating if you are a beginner. As a makeup artist, I have been airbrushing makeup professionally for years, and I have to say that I will often bring my at home airbrush machine with me because it’s easy to use and gives the same results as a professional system. Today I am showing you my Luminess Air Airbrush System, with Starter Kit and giving you the best basic airbrush makeup tips and techniques for your at home system. I will even answer questions like how to choose the right foundation color and how to use your personal airbrush system like a pro for flawless skin.
Airbrush Makeup Tips for Beginners
Use your personal airbrush machine like a pro!
Tip 1 | Choose a Luminess Airbrush Foundation Kit
- Choose a luminess airbrush foundation kit that is closest to your skin color (airbrushing can be forgiving with skin colors). For me, it was medium in the silk formulation because I wanted something lightweight.
- Next, you want to test your foundation shades on your jawline like the picture above.
- To find your foundation match, squint your eyes and see which color blends into the skin best. (It’s a cool makeup trick I learned years ago at makeup school.)
- For me, I chose the medium kit and swiped on colors 2, 4, and 6. The color that blended in best was 2, but I knew that I need to warm it up a bit with 4.
- Custom mix your foundation by adding drops of your airbrush foundation color into the opening of the stylus. I used four drops of 2 and two drops of 4 for my perfect foundation look.
Makeup Artist Tip: Don’t be intimidated by custom blending your airbrush foundation. Like I said, airbrushing is forgiving, and since skin color can change with the season, you can add or take away foundation drops to match your current color.
Tip 2 | Airbrush Makeup Skincare Prep
Before you apply your airbrush foundation, you need to prep your skin. To have the best skin possible for your airbrush machine, use a lightweight moisturizer that is oil-free. Stay away from heavy moisturizers that contain oils because it will separate your airbrush foundation. You can also use the moisturizer/primer that is included with the airbrush starter kit to ensure that your airbrush foundation is prepped well.
If you have dry skin, just make sure to let your moisturizer absorb into the skin for 2 minutes and then blot it. Using anything like coconut oil etc. will make it hard for your airbrush foundation to look it’s absolute best. So, pay attention to the ingredients in your skincare products before airbrushing your skin.
Tip 3 | How to set up Your at-home Airbrush Makeup Starter Kit
Setting up your Luminess airbrush system is easy. Just pull it out of the box, add your foundation, and you are ready to go! Using an at-home beauty device with a few added makeup tips should make learning how to airbrush pretty simple.
Once you decide what airbrush foundation color to choose, you are going to want to add 4-6 drops inside the stylus.
After the airbrush foundation is inside the stylus, press the on button and follow my airbrush instructions below.
Tip 4 | Practice Before You Apply Your Airbrush Foundation
Makeup Artist Tip: When I first learned to airbrush, we practiced on white pieces of paper to test how even and heavy our application was. Doing this helped tremendously in mastering my airbrushing techniques because you do not want to be heavy-handed at all with airbrush makeup. A little makeup goes a very long way, so learning to apply light layers is the best airbrushing technique you can know.
P.S- You can also use a mirror instead of white paper, although, it’s a little messy in my opinion.
Tip 5 | How to Apply Your Airbrush Foundation
- Shake your foundation bottle and add 4-6 drops into the opening on top of the Stylus. Be sure to dock it whenever you aren’t using it to avoid makeup spills.
- Turn on your airbrush machine, hold the stylus (the pen looking thing) in your hand and pull back on the trigger without pressing down. You will just feel the air flow to get a sense of how the airbrush machine will work.
- To get the Luminess airbrush machine to apply the foundation, you just pull back the stylus lever and your product will dispense.
- When you use your airbrush foundation, your stylus should be between 6-8 inches away from your skin at all times. If you get too close to the skin, your airbrush application will look splotchy and uneven.
- Once you start your at home airbrush application, you want to keep your stylus moving in a circular motion at all times. You should start at the center of the face and move out towards the hairline on one side of the face. Next move to your chin, then the other side of the face, and finally your forehead.
- Do one layer of airbrush foundation at a time and wait five seconds between layers.
Airbrushing Before and After Makeup Look
After Airbrushing on Blush, Bronzer, Highlighter, and Eyeshadow
As you can see, my skin looks flawless. Even the zit on my face has been covered and it all looks very natural. In addition to using airbrush foundation, I also airbrushed my blush, bronzer, highlighter, and eyeshadow! There is so much more that you can do with your personal airbrush machine than just foundation.
What’s so great about airbrush makeup is that it gives flawless and like-your-own-skin results; that’s why it’s such a popular makeup tool. Also, if you are someone who struggles with acne, this is perfect for getting great coverage without adding any extra bacteria to your skin. Airbrush machines are one of the most sanitary ways to apply makeup professionally and at home.
Get your Luminess Air Airbrush System, with starter kit here and check out all the fun airbrushing tutorials they have.
p.s- Check out how cute the airbrush systems are! I love my aqua colored one the best. Just sayin.
note- This is a sponsored collaboration with Luminess Air. All thoughts and opinions are that of my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that I love.