I beat Kim Kardashian. Instead of washing my hair only every 5 days like Kim does, I wash my hair every 7 days. Let me clarify something though, I do take showers every day….in-case you were worried about that. I haven’t been washing my hair every day for about three years now, and it’s been the best hair decision of all time. Let me share with some reasons for not washing my hair daily and at the same time try to convince you to do the same.
1) More Time for ME: For starters, not washing my hair every day gives me about a half hour back into my daytime schedule. That is a total of 2.5 hours every week to do something else besides wash my hair, dry it, add more damage, and repeat. I don’t know about you, but I would rather chill and drink my coffee. (Who am I kidding, I have small children that demand my attention. There is no chilling unless they are asleep.)
2) Less Damage: It’s a known fact that the more you shampoo, dry and style your hair with heated tools, the more damage you can cause to your pretty locks. Because of that (and the fact that I don’t know what my natural hair color is anymore due to hair processing), washing my hair every 7 days keeps it in a pretty healthy state.
3) Less Grease: Did you know that the more you wash your hair, the more your hair will look greasy? It’s true. When you wash your hair every day, your scalp produces more sebum, a natural moisturizer that keeps your skin water-resistant, so your hair will look more oily. By making a change and washing your hair every 5 to 7 days, your scalp will begin to produce less sebum and your hair will start to look less like an oil factory. Also, you will begin to NOT say things like, “My hair is too oily, I could never go 7 days without washing it.”
4) Easier to Style: It’s easier to style non-washed then washed because the hair is less slippery. Some moms do the mom-pony thing, and since I refuse to do this, I do the top-knot (see photo here). Top-Knots are my go-to hairstyle for my 4th, 5th, and 6th day of not washing my hair. Sometimes I do mix it up with a braid, etc., I am not completely predictable, but this seems like the easiest and trendiest up-do yet.
5) Saves Money: My hair is unnaturally platinum blonde and has been dyed brown and reddish too in the past. Not washing my hair every day saved me money because my color didn’t fade as fast, and I naturally used less shampoo. Now a bottle of shampoo and conditioner can last me for-ev-er.
Obviously, there are a lot of reasons why I am glad that I wash my hair every 7 days. When I first started doing it, I worked my way up from every day to every 3rd day, every 5th day, and then every 7th day. It does take some getting use to, and in the beginning I used a lot of dry shampoos to curb the extra oil. But now that my hair is used to this every-seven-day thing, I can get away with not using any dry shampoo or baby powder at all. Do you wash your hair every day, every 5th day like Kim Kardashian or every 7th like me?
p.s- The lipstick I am wearing is Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Electric Coral; one of my all time favorites.
Have a great day!!
note: There are affiliate links within this post. Please see disclosure page for details. All thoughts and opinions are that of my own.