I think the first basic makeup brush I ever owned was for foundation. I remember applying makeup for the first time with one, and it was life changing because I was no longer smearing it on with my fingertips. Learning how to apply your foundation with a makeup brush doesn’t have to be complicated. With these easy tips and tricks, you can get a flawless foundation application in minutes.
With that said, there are a few things you need to be aware of before you learn how to apply your foundation.
1. You need to make sure that your foundation color matches your skin. One of the biggest makeup mistakes is having the wrong cosmetic color and ending up with a line of darker or lighter foundation on your jaw. With that said, can’t say I haven’t “been there-done that”. We have all made makeup mistakes before, and that’s why you are here; to learn how to do your makeup better.
2. It is imperative to have the correct foundation type and formula for you and your skin. If you have dry skin, I would highly recommend staying away from an oil-free. If you have oily skin, I would recommend avoiding anything that says “hydrating.”
3. Get a good foundation brush. I can’t stress this enough. If you want your foundation to be blended well with a foundation brush, you need to invest in a good one. I would say a good brush is going to cost you anywhere from $20 to $30. If you are Vegan, using a high-end Taklon foundation brush works well. Otherwise, here are a few foundations brushes that I have used and love.
Favorite Foundation Brushes
Jane Iredale Foundation Brush is one of the best in my opinion. I have several of them and love the quality and how they perform. Plus, they are vegan!
Sigma also carries a good foundation brush at a decent price. I don’t think it’s as good as the Jane brush, but it does a pretty good job.
TIPS ON APPLYING YOUR FOUNDATION WITH A MAKEUP BRUSH
1. Use a pea size amount of foundation and apply four dots to your face. One in the center of your forehead, one on your chin, and on either side of you face. Note- you can always add more foundation to your skin. I just like to start small and then add more if I need to.
2. Now that your foundation is on your skin, you are going to make small little “x” like motions starting at the center of your face next to your nose (technically the nasal labial folds…sounds so gross) and move outwards towards your hair line.
3. I do one side of the face, then the other, my chin, forehead, and then the nose.
4. Just keep making those small “x” like motions with your brush until everything is completely blended and you see zero brush strokes.
5. Learning how to apply your foundation with a brush is as easy as that! Now you just need to learn how to apply your concealer like a pro and give your skin some serious glow with these highlighting tips.
Have a great day guys!