It seems that Sarah Jessica Parker has always been the star of Vogue’s Age Issue. Same is true this time around as the 47-year-old mother of three talks about balancing film, fashion and family. Parker is just one of those actresses I really fell in love with during college because of her character in Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw. The show for me fed something that I didn’t know existed in me, the fashion monster! I would watch the show while I riffled through my closet to attempt to emulate an outfit I had seen. Confession complete, I want to share a, black and white, Get the Look with you today with pieces under $50, here we go!
- Structured Blouse: Parker’s commanding yet elegant stance in this shot is a true testament to her history as a ballerina. The blouse she has on here by Marc Jacobs has a great waistline built right into the structuring, which is over accentuated by the tufted shoulders and belled bottom. But to wear this top you need a specific bodytype for it not just make you look wider. I have chosen here from Modcloth with a much better shape for everyone because it has strong structural lines, with a subtle belled bottom and less dramatic shoulder lines. (Modcloth, $35)
- Black Pencil Skirt: Wearing a pencil skirt can be intimidating because of how well they hug your body. In my opinion: you just have to rock it to get used to it! A trick I use with pencil skirts is to buy for fit not for the size the tag says. Buy the size that isn’t overly tight on the waistline but is snug everywhere else to make better lines. Go with a plain solid color like black that will not draw as much attention and choose a length that is complimentary for your leg length. A knee length pencil skirt like this one works best with pumps over boots following, “the more the skirt, the less the shoe needed,” motto. (H&M, $24)
- Basic Black Pumps (Best with Character): Everyone needs to have basic black heels, no matter what the heel height, you need to own some! Find a pair that are comfortable, but don’t scream orthotic please, and you’re doing great! I chose this pair made of soft leather from Zara because of the asymmetrical cutout along the sides, which creates a lot of character to a plain shoe. Lovely. (Zara, $50)
- Turban Hat: Parker has gorgeous hair, but she went for the sleek look during this photo shoot and paired a slicked back bun with a black turban-style hat. Turbans are a popular that we will see more of in the coming months. For a sleek look: Pin one in place over a bun and tack back fly-away hairs with some hair wax. (Asos, $21)
- Black and Gold watch: Parker’s watch is the only accessory she has on, maybe playing to the context of the article being keeping busy life organized. Gold just pops so beautifully on black, and it makes you feel fancy. (American Apparel, $25)
Citizens of Beauty Fashion Contributor: Becca Alexander Pickrel