Whether it’s mascara that gives lashes for days, or a lipstick that never wears off, everyone has makeup essentials they love. For me, a Makeup Artist, I have tested and tried thousands of cosmetics and still go back to some tried and true makeup products that I will always replenish or have multiples of. Some of these makeup must-haves have been in my personal cosmetic stash and professional makeup kit for years while others are a more recent love affair.
As a professional makeup artist, beauty blogger, and overall makeup enthusiast, pairing down my eight must-have makeup essentials was no small task! But there are always products that I continuously go back to and have a minor panic attack about if they are gone or I can’t find them. So, take a look at what makeup I love and can’t live without and see if you have them in your makeup wardrobe (because if not…you need them..trust me).
(If you like this post, then you will love the Makeup Essentials for Beginners Post Here)
1) Naked 2 Palette: While there are now lots of Urban Decay Naked palettes, the Naked 2 Palette is the one I can’t live without. Sure, I love the smoky palette, and, of course, the original, but the Naked 2 just has it going on. To me, it’s like the Original Naked and the Smoky palette had a baby and the Naked 2 was it. Yes, I know the Smoky just came out this year, and the 2 has been around for a while…but you get what I mean. I will always, always, always replenish my Naked 2.
Since I have been doing makeup for 13 years (ahh) for editorial, commercial, bridal and more, I have toted the Naked 2 palette with me on virtually every job. It’s my most used palette of all time; so if you don’t have one, get one. I use it a ton in my makeup tutorials on this site. So, you will get plenty of use out of it if you subscribe to this blog and stay up to date with my current makeup looks I put together. (Found at Sephora.com for $54.00 Here)
2) Jane Iredale blush: I use to be all about NARS Orgasm…and I still am because it’s a classic. But, the Jane Iredale Quad Bronzer in Rose Dawn is a new(er) must have for me. It’s a beautiful mix of blush and bronzer that gives the skin a radiant glow. I also like that it has four colors to swirl together or to use as an eyeshadow for quick makeup application. Whenever my skin seems to lack luster, I pop some of this on my cheeks, and I instantly look more alive. (Found at Nordstroms for $48 with Free Shipping Here)
3) Tarte Clay Pot Waterproof Eyeliner: I can’t do a wedding makeup without this product, I swear. The Clay Pot Waterproof Eyeliner is the best waterproof eyeliner I have tried, the texture is perfect, and it stays and stays and stays. This eyeliner is best used with an eyeliner brush like this one for an amazing cat-eye, or that sultry smoked out liner look. (Found at Sephora.com for $21.00 Here)
4) Better Than Sex Mascara: I get asked all-the-time what my favorite must-have mascara is. Mascara is such a personal choice, but I always go back to the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. I love that it gives me long and thick lashes, and it’s easy to layer. It also doesn’t budge and smudge unless I am not paying attention and somehow start rubbing my eyes. (Found at Sephora.com for $23.00 Here)
5) Make Up For Ever HD Ultra Foundation: In my makeup kit you would find all of the original Make Up For Ever HD foundations, but the new HD Ultra is even better. For everyday use, I just blend a pea to dime size amount onto my skin to even it out and cover blemishes. This HD foundation just makes the skin look naturally flawless. It’s also build-able, so if you have a blemish that is hard to hide, you can tap on a very tiny amount to that spot, and watch it disappear from site. (Found at Sephora.com for $50.00 Here)
6) Face Stockholm Corrective Concealer Blue: It came down to the Face Stockholm Corrective Concealer blue and the DiorSkin Nude Perfecting Hydrating Concealer. While they are both amazing for different reasons, I would cry if the Face Stockholm concealer was not in my makeup kit. I have been going back to this one time and time again for the past five years because it blocks out under eye discoloration like non-other without looking heavy. In fact, one of my makeup mentors, Karey Herta (head makeup artists for American Horror Story), is the one who introduced me to it. So, if you have dark circles, you might want to give this one a go. If you don’t…the Dior is my second favorite because it’s hydrating brightening, and awakens tired eyes. (Found Here)
7) Anastasia Beverly Hills Duo Brow Powder: For a simple way shape your brows, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Duo Brow Powder is what you need. I have used every brow product from Anastasia Beverly Hills for brows, and I keep coming back to the duo brow powder. It is easy, nearly mistake-free, and gives a natural look for eyebrows. (Found at Nordstroms with free shipping Here)
8) Bite Beauty Luminous Cream Lipstick: If I could choose to have one lipstick with me at all times for personal use, it would be the Bite Beauty Luminous Cream Lipstick in Magenta Violet . I am obsessed with the color on my lips blotted down to a stain, or as raging bright as it can go because I am a bright lipstick fanatic. It also makes a pretty dang good blush for on-the-go use. With that said, the formula is what makes it so awesome and why you should check out all of the other lipstick colors available as well. Each lipstick as loads of anti-oxidants giving your lips amazing anti-aging benefits so they will stay kissable for years on end.( Found at Sephora.com for $24.00 Here)
I like this post… definitely selling me on naked 2!
I’m no makeup artist but my number 1, hands down, no questions asked mascara is le volume by chanel. Thick, separated, defined, and with false lash drama, I don’t know that I’ll ever use anything else.