We all know that picking our faces and popping pimples is bad for our skin. Picking your pimples does far worse things to our skin than it does good. But knowing that usually doesn’t stop us from having a major pick-sesh once in a while. Let me confess something: I am a major picker by nature. When I see a bulging zit, it takes everything in me to walk away. Since I am a licensed esthetician, I do know how to properly handle a pimple, what tools I need, and I can always tell when something is not ready to be popped. But, just because I know all of that, does not mean I exercise it very well.
Last week I went gang-busters on my skin and walked out of the bathroom looking like I had a 3rd and 4th eye. These small zits exploded into gigantic planets, which had their own weather systems. On top of that, they both scabbed over and looked awful for about 10 days. So, since I committed one of my personal beauty sins, I thought I would confess it all to you guys and then give you my 5 reasons why you should avoid picking your pimples.
- Scarring: Picking and over squeezing a pimple can cause scarring which will most likely never go away without taking extreme measures like a laser, microderm, or chemical peel. Even then, you are most likely to have the remnants and happy reminder of a passionate pick-a-thon.
- Not Sanitary: Unless you are an anomaly or extremely OCD, you probably have some bacteria living under those fingernails of yours. So it doesn’t really make sense to squeeze an already infected pimple with fingernails that have bits of bacteria (and who knows what else) underneath them. This is why it’s important to go to a professional since they have sterilized, proper equipment.
- More Pimples: Picking, poking, and popping any type of pimple without the help of a competent professional can spread that infection, welcoming a full-blown zit party. Sounds like fun times ahead if you ask me.
- Scabbing: You can and most like will get scabbing, which is terribly hard to cover up. Makeup and scabs do not go very well together. They end up looking like a scab with chunks of makeup on top…. because that’s exactly what it is. I am sure that’s not the look you want to go for. Just sayin.
- Prolonged Healing: Popping zits before they are really ready to go, only prolongs the healing process of that pimple. If you try and pop it too soon, it will sometimes double in size and dig deeper into the skin, causing it to stick around a whole lot longer than if you had left it alone in the first place.
So my friends, think about these thing’s next time you have a manic-moment and pull out your ultra-mag-mirror, attempting to pick every tiny speck out of your face.
Have a lovely Day!