DIY lovers, if you are wanting to get crafty, or are looking for a quick gift idea, here is an easy gold leather feather ornament that can be made in 10 minutes. These adorable handmade ornaments are modern, cool, and pretty much say that you have your life together in the DIY decor game. They can be hung on your Christmas tree for added glam, gifted in a box alone, or packaged with other small goodies to make a sweet gift box. And- if none if those options are speaking to you, you can use this simple DIY to make creative gift tags that double as an ornament.
You really don’t need a lot of supplies to make this DIY ornament. Most thing’s you might already have and if not, you will just need to make a quick trip to a craft store. If there is no store around or you are lazy like me and would prefer to have it shipped, Amazon will have everything you need. So, below you will find easy instructions on how to make these ornaments.
What You Need:
- Leather: I got mine from an old leather skirt that I hated (okay..it actually doesn’t fit anymore..boo) and needed to repurpose. But, you can find some at Goodwill, or at the craft store, or here.
- Paint Pens and Acrylic paint: You can find these paint pens at any craft store or here. (If you use Amazon Prime, you can order this stuff and get free shipping in two days.)
- Small stenciling paint brush
- Some string like this one here
- A upholstery needle
How to do this DIY Leather Ornament
- Get your scissors and draw a leaf shape on the back of your leather that’s about 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. Or however big/small you want it to be. Cut it out.
- Then make a feather texture by cutting into the edges of the leather in a slanted way going upwards. On either side of the ornament, I made small v shaped cuts to get the look right.
- Next use the gold paint wherever you want it. I liked to do half of my DIY ornament gold, so I just use a sharp edged magazine I don’t care about to get the line right.
- To add extra detail, I used the white paint pen to draw texture and design.
- Next, thread your needle and poke it in the top.
- Last, tie your string together to make a loop.
- You officially have your simple DIY Gold Leather Feather Ornament
What’s so great about these gold feather ornaments is that you can make them your own style by doing tons of different designs! So, get creative and have fun making them.
What do you think of these ornaments? Would you hang them on your tree or use them as a gift tag?
note* There are affiliate links within this post. See affiliate page for details.
These are awesome!! I’m trying to do a primarily homemade Christmas this year and would love to try these. I’ve never worked with leather before- how do you like it? These look great. Happy Thanksgiving!