You know when you go to the beach and get that gorgeous beachy waves hairstyle that comes naturally from splashing around in the ocean? I am replicating that vibe today with a DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Hair Texturizer Spray recipe. Making this at-home beauty treatment really won’t take long at all. You just have to have the right ingredients like Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Almond Oil, Aloe Vera Gel and a few other things to get that naturally tussled in the waves look.
I guess when I think of this hairstyle, my brain automatically goes to Bay Watch and Pamela Anderson frolicking towards the ocean waves in her red swimsuit and…other things. Which, by the way, did you see the new one? I had to turn it off because it was so dumb. Also, I wasn’t allowed to watch that show growing up, so it was not nostalgic for me.
Back to this DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Texturizing spray. You don’t really need many ingredients to get this going, and you might even have most everything tucked away in your bathroom or kitchen. Plus, making your own sea salt spray at home vs one like the Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray will save you some cash. And, if you are having a DIY beauty bash or party, this “make it yourself” beauty product is super easy to create if you follow the recipe.
DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Texturizer Spray Ingredients
Really, you are going to be shocked by how little items you need for this at-home beauty treatment that will leave you looking like you just had a day at the beach. Here is a list of everything you need.
- Glass Spray Bottle (Glass 4oz Spray Bottle Found on Amazon)
- Small Funnel (Small Funnel Found on Amazon)
- 1/2 Cup of Filtered Hot Water
- 1 TBS Epsom Salt: First off you need to make sure that you have Epsom Salt. This gives your hair texture that resembles what your hair would do if it was tossed by the ocean waves. (Epsom Salt Found on Amazon)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt: Also responsible for adding extra texture to your hair. (Sea Salt Found on Amazon)
- 1/2 tsp Aloe Vera Gel: Using Aloe Gel helps to add texture and slight stiffness to the hair that gives that “piecy” look. (Aloe Vera Gel Found on Amazon)
- 3 Drops Almond Oil or 1/2 tsp Conditioner: If you have extremely greasy hair, skip this part. If not, adding a hydrator to your DIY Sea Salt Texturizer Spray is essential to keeping your hair away from feeling crunchy. It’s the fine balance of sea salt and still looking soft and gorgeous. (NOW Sweet Almond Oil Found on Amazon)
- Lavender Oil: I don’t know about you, but I LOVE when my hair smells good. I love my hair products to smell amazing, even my DIY ones! So, I like Lavender! If you want to use Lavender Essential Oil in your DIY Hair Texturizer, just use a few drops. (Lavender Oil Found on Amazon)
DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Texturizer Step-by-Step Instruction’s
These instructions are also super easy. Follow them exactly for your very own sea salt texturizer that will cost you a fraction of the price!
- Heat up a 1/2 cup of your filtered water and pour it into the glass spray bottle (remove spray nozzle). You need your water to be warm/hot so that the other ingredients melt and absorb into and don’t leave a residue at the bottom of the bottle.
- Get your small funnel and pour in your Epsom Salt, Sea Salt, Aloe Vera Gel, Almond Oil (or conditioner), and Lavender Oil.
- Last, put the spray lid back on your glass jar and shake everything together for about 30 seconds.
How to Use Your DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Texturizer Spray
Using your fresh batch of sea salt spray isn’t complicated! Follow these steps and you will have the most gorgeous beachy wave hairstyle!
- After you have washed your hair and towel dried it, spray your DIY Mermaid Sea Salt Texturizer Spray generously into your hair.
- I like to use my hands and scrunch up my hair a little bit. I sometimes flip my head over and scrunch up my hair for even better results.
- You can either let your hair air dry as I do, or you can use a hair diffuser attachment with your hairdryer to avoid any frizz.
- If you feel like your hair isn’t as “beachy” looking as you would like, you can use your flat iron to add some extra simple curls and then run your flat iron through the very ends of your hair.
- Just tell everyone you went to the beach. They will never know. Unless you don’t live by an actual beach…then I can’t help ya there. The closest beach to me isn’t that great…Texas.
I hope you guys enjoyed doing this DIY hair product for textured hair! If you have questions, let me know!
note- There are affiliate links in this post. Thanks for using them!