I am not a snob about only using drugstore or only using designer makeup, I am, however, a snob about using cosmetics that work. I mean, who isn’t? Regardless of if I spend $5.00 or $50.00, I want to know that I love the product and that I can get a makeup look that I am proud of with it. So today I am pulling some new and old cosmetics and creating a drugstore and designer makeup look that is date night worthy.
Over the weekend, my husband celebrated turning 34 (see how handsome he is on my Intsta). So we went with another couple to a famous steakhouse in Austin, TX where I had to dress in something other than my yoga pants and a tank top. In order to make my look match the occasion, I pulled my hair back in a low bun, threw on black everything clothes, and created a subtle smoky drugstore and designer makeup look. My finished look was pretty good if I do say myself. But in an effort to be transparent with you all, if you were to see me typing this right now (in yoga pants and a tank), you would wonder if we were the same person. Just sayin’.
(Also, this is what my hair looked like on day 5 of not washing it. I can do a little swoopy thing in the front…yay.)
In general I like to keep my skin looking as makeup-free as possible. I don’t like to wear a lot of foundation or concealer; it looks like your skin just hasn’t been exfoliated in like, ever. In an effort to not wear pounds of foundation and concealer, I have to make an effort to take good care of my skin. Being that I am almost 32, good skincare is everything. So I make sure that I exfoliate, use anti-oxidants, hyaluronic acid, and a good SPF in order to keep my skin healthy and makeup ready. Skincare is an investment, but a worthy one.
Now that you know my stance on skincare and foundation let me show you how you can get a similar look to this at home. Are you ready?
What You Need:
- Mally Beauty Effortless Airbrush Perfect Skin Mousse. FOUND HERE
- jane cosmetics Blushing Bronze Duo in Peony Pink Glow. FOUND HERE
- Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer. FOUND HERE
- Milani Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella White. FOUND HERE
- jane Cosmetics Shimmer Eyeshadow in Pansy. FOUND HERE
- Milani Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Black. FOUND HERE
- Jouer Cosmetics Long-wear cream mousse in Starlight. FOUND HERE (you can see my review here)
- Jane Iredale black/gray eyeliner (not shown). FOUND HERE
- Mally Beauty Lip Magnifier in Soft Nude. FOUND HERE
- Mally Beauty Volumizing Mascara in Black. FOUND HERE
Get The Look
- After I had prepped my skin with skincare, I applied the Mally Beauty Effortless Airbrush foundation onto my skin using the brush that came with it. I didn’t have to use more than one pump in order to decrease the redness that I get from my t-zone area. I just started at the center of my face, and then airbrushed it out until my skin looked flawless. I like that this foundation isn’t heavy in the least, but that it also gives good coverage where I need it. Also, I am obsessed with this foundation!
- Next I used the blush from jane Cosmetics Bronzing duo (which is fabulous, by the way) on the apples of my cheeks, and the bronzer portion to lightly contour my face.
- Last for the skin portion of this drugstore and designer makeup look, I applied the Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer at the top of my cheekbones for highlight and to add the glow factor.
- First I applied the Black Milani eyeshadow to my lower eyelids and under my lower lashline.
- Next I blended the jane Cosmetics Pansy eyeshadow in the contour of my eyes to soften the black and to add some warmth and contrast in color.
- Then I highlighted under my brow bone with the Milani Bella White Eyeshadow.
- To add a little bit of shimmer, I lightly pressed the Jouer Cosmetics long-wearing mousse in Starlight to the lower eyelid.
- After that, I applied the JAane Iredale Black/Grey eyeliner to the upper lash line and went over it with the Milani Black eyeshadow using an angled eyeliner brush. I also used the liner on my lower waterline to add the smokey look and more dimension.
- Last, I curled my lashes and added to layers of the Mally Beauty Volumizing Mascara in Black. On a side note though, I liked this mascara, but it wasn’t anything that blew my mind. I think I will still have to go back to my Better Than Sex Mascara obsession.
- To finish off this makeup look, I used the Mally Beauty Lip Magnifier in Soft Nude. This is a beautiful nude lip color that is creamy, hydrating, and easy to apply because it’s in a pencil form.
The Finished Look
Here is my finished drugstore and designer makeup look that I created for my husband’s little birthday bash. In the end, I think that this look is far more designer appearing than drugstore. But I am glad that I can create a high-end makeup look using some drugstore cosmetics as well. It makes those celebrity looks a little more attainable.
If you have questions or comments about this look, leave them in the comments! If you are curious about the makeup I used in this post, I have the direct links to them listed above.
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links within this post. Please see the disclosure page for details.