When I was at the makeup show a few weekends ago, James Vincent talked about how to curl your eyelashes like a pro at The Makeup Show in Dallas. My good friend, Amy Gillespie, was with me and we kind of gave each other the sideway glance that meant, “how do people not know how to curl their eyelashes”. But the truth of the matter is, most people don’t, and that includes makeup artists too.
With these easy eyelash curling tips, you will avoid having that nasty eyelash crimp that we all hate, but have all totally experienced.
So if you want fabulously curled lashes, try these tips on how to curl your eyelashes like a pro.
1) For starters, there is something to be said about quality; you need a good eyelash curler to get amazing lashes. Today I am showing you the stainless steel eyelash curler by Kevyn Aucoin. This eyelash curler won the Allure Magazines ‘best of beauty’ award for best eyelash curler in 2013. It also has a red rubber pad so that you can see your lashes, and avoid pinching.
2) For the best-curled lashes, you want to get as close to the base of the lash as possible. If you are scared you are going to pinch your eye, do a very, very light squeeze as a test. But if you are using a good eyelash curler with a good pad, this shouldn’t be much of an issue.
3) Once you have the eyelash curl close to you lash-line, you want to apply pressure and bend the lash by making the lash curler become parallel to the floor. There is no need to squeeze your lashes until there is no squeeze left in your poor hand. What causes your lashes to curl is pressure AND bending the lash curler to be parallel to the floor. I usually hold my lashes in that position for about 5 seconds.
4) At this point, your lashes should be pretty curled. But if you have really long eyelashes, you will have to do the same technique at the mid to tips of your lashes for the ultimate eyelash curl.
5) Now just apply your mascara, and you are good to go.
EXTRA Eyelash Curling Tips
1) If you have stick straight lashes, apply some heat (blow dryer works) to your lash curler, and then do the tips above. But be careful, because you don’t want to heat up your curler too much, you don’t want to burn yourself.
2) You can totally curl your lashes with mascara on as well. Just make sure that they are really dry before you do the tips above.
3) If the pad on your eyelash curler is super old and dented, you need a new pad on there.
4) Let’s pretend your current eyelash curler just doesn’t work and gives you a bad curl no matter what. Well, you probably need to invest in a new eyelash curler, because the tips above won’t work if what you currently use is complete garbage. Just sayin.
All right you guys, I expect us all to have some seriously amazing lashes from now on. Personally, my lashes are like stubs…they are terrible. So I am always impressed when they look amazing without having to wear falsies. If you have amazing lashes, make sure to tag Citizens of Beauty on Instagram, I want to see them!
Have a great day!
note- There are affiliate links within this post. Using these links helps to support this site. All thoughts and opinions are that of my own.