I take my anti-aging skincare regimen very seriously. It’s the only skin I will ever have, and so I won’t be bashful in saying I want to have that glowing, gorgeous, flawless, skin other people look at and want. I’m not talking about the airbrushed skin you see in magazines that have zero pores, look like plastic and doesn’t exist in real life. I’m talking about real skin that’s healthy from the inside out. Since I am an esthetician and skincare snob, I have learned the Anti-Aging skincare ingredients, products, and tools that keep my skin top-notch. So, here are my 8 daily skincare secrets to having skin people want.
I gotta be honest with you. I use to have terrible acne and scarring to go with it. I know what it’s like to struggle with having pretty skin and I also know how brutally emotional it can be. So, if you are struggling with how your skin looks because of acne, scarring or even brown pigmentation, I want to give you hope, it can get better! If you have terrible acne, check out my acne skincare suggestions that will help clear you up. If you have hyper pigmentation, read my 6 ways to get rid of and prevent brown spots.
(Other than mascara and brows, I have no makeup on in this picture and I did zero re-touching in photoshop. This is my real skin!)
I am 35 years old, but I’ve been taking care of my skin since age 21 as it’s always been important to me. With that said, it’s never too late to start investing into the only skin you will ever have and the largest organ you have. If you want an overall glow to your skin, less fine lines, wrinkles, brown pigmentation and tighter pores, here are the eight things I do every single day.
1. Drinking at least 8 cups of water throughout the day helps to keep my skin hydrated. I just carry a big bottle of water around (like this super cute YETI) with me and sip it all day long. The truth is, water is essential to boost the overall health of the skin at the cellular level. Your skin is an organ, which means it is made up of cells and your cells are made up of water. If you are dehydrated, it will be reflected in how your skin looks. If you want beautiful skin, girl, don’t skip your water!
2. Washing my skin is necessary and 100% not skippable. I double cleanse my face every morning with a cream cleanser that won’t strip my face and then wash it again. At night, I double cleanse again but also use my Clarisonic to prep my skin for my nighttime skincare regimen.
3. I always wear an anti-oxidant during the day to protect my skin from free-radicals and environmental damage. To me, this is as important as wearing an SPF. I love the Beautycounter Vitamin C oil (safest option if ingredients are a concern), Murad Environmental Shield, and Drunk Elephants C-Firma.
4. You probably know where I am going next. Sunscreen. SUNSCREEN! I wear it every day on my face whether it’s sunny outside or not. You need to protect your skin from UVA and UVB skin damage. Not only that, but this is one of the best ways to prevent fine lines, wrinkles, and future brown spots. Wear your sunscreen my friends and check out my guide on how much sunscreen you should be applying.
5. My skincare roller is my favorite skin care tool hands down. I use it every single day during my nighttime skincare routine, and guys, my favorite skincare roller is only $15 and it helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. After I cleanse my skin and pat it dry, I use my dermaroller to stimulate collagen and elastin growth, and then I apply my serums. Honestly, you need one of these!
6. One of the best things I do for my skin daily is that I exfoliate it. I am not a fan of scrubs by preference and have found that exfoliating serums are where it’s at for having glowing and beautiful skin people want. I get compliments every time I use the Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel! You guys, it works so well, and you will wake up with this overall radiance to your skin. I always apply it right after I use my dermaroller and no, you don’t have to wash it off.
7. Of course, hydration is key to glowing and gorgeous skin, and yes, you need to wear a moisturizer no matter what your skin type. But, one of the best skincare products/ingredients I use to keep my skin cells hydrated and plump is a hyaluronic acid which holds 1,000 times its weight in water. I have made my own DIY hyaluronic acid serum before and also love the highly rated Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum.
8. I sleep. Well, I do have small kids, so, it’s a challenge. But your skin cells revamp and renew and rebuild at night. I like to use a pillowcase that is good for my skin as well, and that doesn’t pull and tug and create potential fine lines and wrinkles. I have tried my hardest to sleep on my back, which is the best option for your skin, but I can’t do it. So, skincare friendly pillowcase for the win!
What are your skincare secrets?