I have a self-identified shoe problem. When I was in college, I measured the closet in my house room and had my grandpa construct a shoe rack that would fit perfectly into the allotted space, which was a lot of space. I just love the personality and character a good pair of shoes can bring to your outfit, but the cost can wound your wallet. Let’s look at the top 5 trends in fall shoe fashion and how to avoid busting your budget to get them.
1. Boots: You can wear a good pair of boots for years if you buy a nice pair and choose a style that isn’t super trendy. Go for a mostly flat pair of leather riding boots that hit right under the knee in a deep brown or solid black. I also love a good cowboy boot, with a little heel to give you the lift everyone can use to look long and lean. Boots are great, especially in the rain stricken Northwest, during winter to keep you dry and warm. Pair with your favorite knee length dress or with a nice pair of skinny jeans. Boots are an investment, save for them and buy during the off season.
2. Military Inspired: Whether its buckles or laces, the military inspired look is in for flats and heels alike. Choose a pair that have a little flare on them to ease your way into this trend. I personally love the flat booties that are available in this trend because they tend to be a little more versatile, but the dichotomy of a military shoe being a stiletto is a beautiful thing. For such a trendy piece I would shop at less expensive stores like H&M or Target to find a pair that fits your fancy.
3. Platform heels: This trend is possibly the hardest for me to embrace. I love, love, love a good pair of heels, but I feel like the most popular ones I am seeing lately have the exposed platform at the toe box. I just think it is ugly, plain and simple, but if they are comfy, how can you complain? Search for a pair in a nude glossy color, or a bold satin; details like buckles draw attention and so are especially good on a pointy-toed pair that will make your legs look longer.
4. Animal Prints: Love you something exotic? Now is your chance to embrace that spirit and jump into a pair of shoes, in any style I might add, that are animal print. The best thing to do if you are not ready to embrace a trend so bold right out of the gates it to purchase a pair that is a solid color, like the black ones shown here, that just have a snake skin pattern dug into them.
5. Wedges: Please try on a pair of wedges this season! I don’t care if you are lying to yourself and say that you don’t wear high-heels, wedges will change your perspective. Look for comfy brands like Born or Sofft, if you are worried about jumping straight into a trendy pair. The most popular wedges right now are suede booties or peep-toed pairs that can be worn with ANY outfit that you can come up with.
Becca Alexander Pickrel, Fashion Contributor
Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
Have a nice day!
Thanks! Do you have a shoe trend that you are loving for fall?