From personal experience and science, when you are pregnant, your hair grows more than usual. Because many of you are asking about my waxing guidelines while growing a child, here is everything you need to know about waxing during pregnancy. Here you will find my tips and tricks for hair removal while expecting, plus my professional advice.
I remember when I was one week away from giving birth, I was sitting on my bathroom floor trying to give myself a Brazilian wax. Somehow, I accomplished that pre-birth beauty treatment and even did it again with my next few pregnancies. If you are wondering if waxing yourself is safe while you are expecting, the answer is yes. Though, my recommendation would be to skip the DIY and book a professional. But, before you do that, there are a few things you should know before booking your wax treatment.
- Extra Sensitive: While pregnant, you have more blood flow, and your skin is more sensitive than usual. So be prepared that if you go in for a waxing treatment while prego, you may feel the pain a little more than usual.
- Infection: You don’t have a higher risk of getting an infection while waxing during pregnancy. With that said, please make sure that the salon you are going to for your hair removal is sanitary and uses a new applicator stick each time they dip into the wax. This is especially important if you are getting a Brazilian or bikini wax.
- DIY vs. Salon: If you choose to wax at home, make sure to get the correct wax and products and to follow the instructions. I prefer to use hard wax at home (and even in the salon) because it doesn’t grip the skin. Hard wax only adheres to the hair which makes waxing during pregnancy a lot more comfortable.
- Brazilian Wax: As I said, I did my own Brazilian waxes during pregnancy and have also done a lot of clients too. There is nothing unsafe about removing pubic hair. Though eliminating pubic hair does not make you more hygienic, it is nice to have it gone (in my opinion) while pushing out a baby.
- In-grown Hairs: Usually you can use different post-wax products to help avoid in-grown hairs as much as possible. But, while pregnant, you want to be careful because of the ingredients. To prevent ingrown hairs after waxing during pregnancy, use a small amount of benzoyl peroxide on the area. According to Healthline, Benzoyl Peroxide is safe to use during pregnancy.
You can check out all of my other waxing tips here! Learn to wax your brows and upper lip at home.
*There are affiliate links in this post. Thanks for using them.