Sequins! Sequins! Everywhere! We’ve talked about them before but it never grows old to me. Adding a sequined piece to your wardrobe can take you from drab to glam this wintery season. The best part: they are everywhere, so you are bound to find a shimmery piece right for your hopes dreams and desires. Here are a few of my favorites that you could add to update any Plain-Jane outfit.
1. Sequined Pencil Skirt: I know pencil skirts can be scary enough in a plain dark color, but add sequins, a plain black top, shoes and tights and your basic black look goes high roller and festive in one move. Try one in a muted gold tone down on the glam-queen status.
2. Sequin Top: A sequined top is the best for letting a little flare out when you want to because it can hide under a solid colored cardigan or blazer and just peep out some shimmer every once in a while. I love the looser tops that allow movement because I have found that sequined pieces tend to be a little heavier and boxier when they are cut too tightly.
3. Cardigan with Sequined Pockets: This is the option for the faint of heart sequin queen . Choose a cardigan in a neutral color with matching sequins patched onto the pockets at your hips. You’ll feel glammed up and ease yourself into the trend.
4. Shoes: What else spunks up an outfit like a glamorous pair of heels? Metallic shoes are a fantastic investment because they go with almost every color, they can even be mixed and matched with other colors. I love a dulled champagne color on a sequined heel. Magic will happen in those shoes!
5. Sequined Accessories: Weather it be an amazing hair accessory, a great clutch or a belt on a plain dress, sequined accessories are another great option for the trend-following faint of heart. Also, they may be the cheapest way to update your wardrobe with one of Winter’s most lasting trends.
How to Avoid Looking BeDazzled
- Only wear one sequined piece at a time.
- Mix in solid colored pieces with a sequined
- Wear plain jewelry in a complimentary color: gold sequins with dark purple jewelry or black with gold jewelry.
- Don’t match your shoes to your sequins.
Rebecca Alexander Pickrel – Fashion Contributor and Editor